The Best Super Foods with Vitamin D
Add these to your diet and stay healthy and strong!
The top foods with vitamin D are listed on this page but always remember that the best natural source of Vitamin D3 is safe non-burning exposure
to sunlight. Vitamin D from both sunlight and foods is the way to go.
Vitamin D is made by your body after sun exposure and is called the
sunshine vitamin. Some say that on a sunny summers day, a fair-skinned
person needs about 20-30 minutes exposure (without sunscreen) to make
the daily requirement of Vitamin D. But I am fair, and here in Australia
if I was out in the sun in summer at noon for 30 minutes I would be
sunburned and red and sore by nightfall! So be judicious about this. Come indoors before you burn.
Vitamin D is oil soluble and is naturally found in fish oils, fatty
fish, lard and in smaller amounts in beef liver, egg yolks and some
herbs. All milk in the US, some cheeses and yoghurts (read the labels),
orange juice, some cereals, and certain mushrooms are fortified with
Vitamin D3. It has been demonstrated that when white button mushrooms
are exposed to Ultraviolet B radiation for a short period of time the
level of Vitamin D increases to well over the minimum daily requirement.
These mushrooms are set to become the best of the sources of Vitamin
D. But the question of whether the Vitamin D is absorbed by humans when
they eat the mushrooms, is yet to be answered.
Vitamin D3 can of course be consumed as a supplement. See my page on Vitamin D3 before you do.
milk is apparently a poor source of vitamin D but is the best source of
calcium, and absorption of calcium is dependent on vitamin D.
Dark-skinned infants are at risk for rickets if they are exclusively
breastfed beyond 6 months without vitamin D supplementation - but this
can come from safe non-burning sun exposure.
Never give a baby Vitamin D supplements without consulting a qualified health professional (nutritionist).
Below is a list of foods with Vitamin D:
Cod Liver Oil - The recognition of cod-liver oil being used as a specific remedy for rickets was noted as early as 1824 in German medical literature. It became a common treatment for rickets, as well as sunbaths, in the 1930s. Cod liver oil contains more vitamin D per unit weight than any other common food and so is the BEST of the foods with vitamin D. One hundred grams of cod liver oil provides 10,000 IU vitamin D, almost four times more than lard, the next richest source.
Of course you only need a small amount so it is available in capsules and take as labelled on the bottle. Bone pain and muscle pain are two symptoms of low levels of vitamin D which may manifest as pain in the bones and muscles. Studies have shown that improvement in these symptoms (if due to low levels of Vitamin D3) by taking cod liver oil.
Note: Cod liver oil does not increase vitamin D in breast milk.
Cod Liver Oil should be fresh so buy in small bottles and keep in a dark place. Use it within 2 months.
See the findings of Dr. Price: Price found that by combining
cod liver oil with high-vitamin butter, from cows eating rapidly growing green grass, was miraculous in reversing tooth decay and bringing patients back from the brink of death.
- Lard is the next highest in the list of foods with Vitamin D. Western countries are so fat-phobic that some of the best foods are made out to be ‘killing-foods’ e.g. butter, and lard (yes I said lard). Really you need to make it yourself as the shop-bought stuff probably wouldn’t contain Vitamin D. The pigs need regular sunlight to produce the Vitamin D. Technically, it's a monounsaturated fat and contains no trans-fats.
- Beef Liver - Every 3.5oz serving of beef liver provides you with about 12 percent of your recommended daily allowance of Vitamin D. That size serving will also provide you with about 550% of your daily allowance of Vitamin A. It is recommended that you only eat liver once per week so you are not getting too much Vitamin A which can lead to low bone density, liver abnormalities, and potential birth defects.
As you can see, even though beef liver is one of the richest foods with Vitamin D, eating it regularly can be problematic. Another reason to get some sunshine!
- Egg Yolk contains most of the nutrients in an egg, and there is NO vitamin D in the egg white. Calcium is one of the minerals that you need to be healthy, ensures strong, healthy bones and teeth, and also helps muscles and nerves to work properly. Vitamin D helps you to absorb and use calcium. Eggs are a good source of both Vitamin D and Calcium.
- Oily Fish – salmon, sardines, herring, and Atlantic mackerel are all natural sources of Vitamin D. A 3oz portion of cooked salmon will provide about 5% of your recommended daily allowance.
- Herbs that contain Vitamin D include alfalfa, horsetail, nettle, and parsley. Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Fifth Edition: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food Supplements
- Milk, some cheeses and yoghurts, orange juice, some cereals and some mushrooms are fortified with Vitamin D and can provide a great proportion of your daily allowance . If you are unsure of whether the products you buy are fortified, read the labels.
The best advice to maintain adequate Vitamin D3 levels seems to be to
include foods with vitamin D into your daily diet and get regular
non-burning sun exposure.
Here’s a recipe from the Skin Cancer Foundation containing foods with Vitamin D...
One serving of the following recipe provides over 90 percent of the AI for vitamin D. Enjoy!
Vitamin D-Rich Salmon (Serves Four)
Four salmon fillets, or about 1 pound
1 cup plain, Vitamin-D fortified yogurt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup mustard
1/3 tsp dried (or 1 tsp fresh) thyme
1 tsp dried (or 1 tbsp fresh) oregano
1/3 tsp dried (or 1 tsp fresh) basil
2 tsp dried (or 2 tbsp fresh) dill
oven to 375º. Mix yogurt, mayonnaise and mustard in a bowl, then add
thyme, oregano and basil. Arrange salmon on a baking sheet, top with
yogurt, mayonnaise and mustard mixture, then sprinkle with dill. Bake
for 30-40 minutes.
If you make your own mayo like my mother did, with real egg yolks, then your Vitamin D intake will probably increase to 100%.