Why should you detox your home and how do you know if your home is sick? Are you thinking, "I have never heard of a sick house or a sick building"? Well there actually is something called Sick Building Syndrome or SBS. If you are suffering with mysterious illnesses, allergies, unwellness, strange symptoms that can't be diagnosed, and change or go away when you are away from your home, then you need to read this.
Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) are emitted as gases from certain solids or liquids.
How do VOCs and other toxins get into my house?
* MOLD is one of the biggest contributors to a toxic home. Read about Toxic Mold Symptoms.
* In the bedroom there are a few things you need to be aware of. In case you didn't know, dry cleaning uses some very toxic chemicals in its process and they are released into your wardrobe, into your other clothes, and into your bedroom.
* Most new furniture, especially particleboard furniture and most new mattresses give off chemical fumes. These fumes are called VOCs or Volatile Organic Compounds, and they are given off by many household items. Usually you will only be able to smell them and often just has a "new" smell, like when you get into a new car it has "a new car smell". Yes that is actually a good example!
* VOCs are found in chemical cleaning products, air fresheners and pesticide sprays, plastics, and many carpets and furnishings.
* Toxic building materials including the new kitchen cupboards, carpets, vinyl floor coverings, glues and paint. Always opt for a green, non-toxic version of everything you bring into the home.
Toxins, VOC's, mold, bacteria and gases can very quickly build up inside your home and you won't realize it is happening. Did you know there is a cocktail of toxic chemicals in soft furnishings, carpets, the paint on your walls and cleaning products which can all have an effect on your health ranging from mild to catastrophic?
These chemicals can trigger allergies and the accumulative effect of inhaling them can be devastating. Chances are you have this happening in your home especially if it is new or newly renovated. What you need to do is detox your home!
Stop the pollutants in their tracks!
6 Easy Ways to Detox Your Home
1. Keep the Crap Out... If you live on a busy road, keep your windows closed until the traffic dies down and try to place your bedrooms at the back of the house; and invest in an air purifier.
2. Replace the Air... Otherwise, open your windows daily to replace the air in your home. If you have a new house or if it is newly painted, open your windows for as long as possible every day until you can’t smell any of that paint smell any more.
3. Cook and Eat Outside... Of course, ideally you will have used a VOC free paint, but if you haven't it will take some time to offgas. Perhaps you can eat outdoors when you can, and cooking outdoors will reduce the odors and VOCs caused by cooking; if you don't have one, you might want to arrange a nice outdoor area to do this. Every day make sure you are spending time outside - so many people don't think of going outside for fresh air. If it is freezing, just step out for one minute and take 3 breaths of fresh air; it will energize you.
4. Take the Crap Out - Replace with Healthy Products... Take out all toxic cleaners, insect sprays, air fresheners, adhesives, and personal care products. Replace with Solay Simple Natural Cleaning Products and Detox & Remineralize with Natural Beauty Care From Solay Wellness. Take the trash out regularly as it can give off methane if left for too long.
5. Clean and Enliven Your Air... Invest in a beautiful fair trade salt crystal lamp for your home. With their gentle glow and organic shapes, Solay Crystal Salt Lamps are simply beautiful, and beautifully simple. Each one-of-a-kind lamp is hand-chiseled to preserve its primordial energy from a solid block of crystal salt, hand-excavated from millions-year-old pristine sea beds at the foothills of the Himalayan Mountains, Polish Salt Caves and rare Persian Salt Beds. These natural works of art work wonders for our health and there is proven science behind this. The healthy ions created by Crystal Salt Lamps help oxygenate and purify our air.
6. Grow Your Own Fresh Air... Put some pot plants through your home. They are the healthiest air purifiers on the planet! Trials carried out by NASA scientists researching air quality improvements for astronauts show that various common houseplants can effectively detox households by absorbing poisonous vapors and releasing oxygen back into the air, which enhances air quality. Here's the pick of the best house plants to improve the air quality in your home.